Stowa watch company was founded in 1927, in Hornberg by Walter Storz, who came up with the idea of taking the first three letters of his surname and the first two letters of his first name to name the brand. In 1935 production moved to Pforzheim and in 1938 a brand new factory was built there.
In 1939, Stowa began manufacturing "Beobachtungsuhr" or "B-Uhr", a wristwatch used by the German Luftwaffe. In total, five companies were commissioned to manufacture B-Uhr: A. Lange & Söhne, Laco, Wempe, IWC, and Stowa. Stowa's current tribute to B-Uhr, called "Flieger", is considered to be the closest in design and function to the original B-Uhr among the five original manufacturers. In addition, the price is far below the aforementioned IWC or A. Lange & Söhne.
Since 1960, Walter's son, Werner Storz, has entered the business with a focus on foreign markets. Distribution went to almost 80 countries around the world and more than 50% of production was exported. In 1996, a young entrepreneur Jörg Schauer, bought the brand, who now continues Stowa's tradition of watchmaking, currently offering following models:
The movements in Stowa's watches are mostly ETA movements with significant decoration and, in the case of The Flieger Original, mechanical modifications. Stowa watches are only sold through their online shop for national and international customers or on-site in Engelsbrand with very favorable prices.